Helping Hayward Thrive
For over 44 years, Kaiser Permanente and The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG) at the Hayward Medical Center have been working hand-in-hand with the people of Hayward to promote health, wellness and happiness.
Kaiser Permanente Hayward Medical Center
Our 488+ physicians and 4,200 support staff provide a full continuum of care to a 258,000-member community, which often includes families spanning three generations. As part of the Greater Southern Alameda Service Area, our efforts are supported by our state-of-the-art partner facility, Fremont Medical Center, plus a medical office in Union City. Together, we care for residents in our immediate community and throughout the Castro Valley, Fremont, Newark, San Leandro, San Lorenzo and Union City areas.
Hayward Medical Center features:
Our TPMG Physicians enjoy:
We’re proud to offer the following specialties:
Creating a better tomorrow, today
Kaiser Permanente Hayward works hand-in-hand with our community to help its people live well, be well and thrive. We’ve built strong partnerships with local organizations to provide an array of support services for our neighbors, family and friends. In addition to awarding community service grants and donating surplus equipment, we also offer volunteer services, educational programs and medical expertise.
We’re a proud sponsor of the award-winning Educational Theater Program, which puts on school performances to address the issues faced by today’s youth. Together with our partner facilities in the Greater Southern Alameda Service Area, we developed the Teddy Bear Clinic, a program which helps children understand—and feel more comfortable with—visits to the doctor. Through the Ashland Free Medical Clinic, envisioned and spearheaded by our own Dr. Joseph Phaneuf, uninsured residents in Ashland and Cherryland, California, can receive basic medical, dental and mental health services.
Our community service efforts also include working closely with non-profit organizations like GIRLS, Inc., Women’s Health Fair, Hayward’s Kids Breakfast Club, Operation Access, Elder Link, Stepping Stones Growth Center, Tri-City Homeless Coalition and Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center. Our involvement with each of these programs—and the impressive results we’ve helped achieve—continue to receive accolades and recognition throughout our service area and beyond.
Hayward, Heart of the Bay™
The over 150,000 residents of Hayward, California, all have something in common: a love for the city they call home. Our open and hospitable attitude is one reason Hayward is known as the “Heart of the Bay.” The other is its geographic location: the best of the Bay is less than 30 miles away. A short trip takes you to San Francisco (25 miles northwest), Oakland (14 miles north), San Jose (26 miles south) or the beautiful Pleasanton area (10 miles east).
Here, you can relax and enjoy the quiet, “small-town” charm offered by our close-knit yet culturally diverse communities. And, when you’re in the mood for a metropolitan adventure, just hop in your car and head to your favorite destination. If you’re lucky enough to live in the “Heart of the Bay,” you can:
- Venture out and explore the breathtaking scenery that makes Northern California a nature lover’s paradise
- Enjoy a mild climate that makes us perfect for outdoor enthusiasts (and anyone else who appreciates great weather!)
- Tour some of Napa & Sonoma County’s nearly 200 wineries
- Spend a weekend in the breathtaking Sierra Mountains or famous Lake Tahoe
- Head west for the day and enjoy a sunset picnic on the coast
- Buy fresh produce and other goods at nearby farmer’s markets
- Play your favorite sport in one of our recreational leagues
- Explore our downtown area, which is being transformed into a pedestrian-friendly destination with a great mix of housing, retail shops, offices and restaurants
- Visit the C.E. Smith Museum of Anthropology at California State University, Hayward, or the Hayward Area Historical Society Museum
- Take in some live music at the Hayward/Russell City Blues Festival or “veg out” at the Zucchini Festival
- Drive 25 miles and visit the colorful streets of San Francisco
- Take a day trip to visit Marin’s famous McNear Beach, a 35-acre recreational area that features an outdoor swimming pool, fishing pier, tennis courts, sandy beaches, picnic/barbecue areas and more
- Cheer on the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers or Oakland Raiders, the NHL’s San Jose Sharks, MLS’s San Jose Earthquakes or the MLL’s San Francisco Dragons
- Enjoy a seventh inning stretch with the San Francisco Giants or the Oakland A’s
Hayward’s central location, cultural diversity, affordable housing and charming communities make it a great place to work, live and play. To find out more about our community, please visit the Hayward Chamber of Commerce.
We can help your
Physician-owned and operated, TPMG offers a fully integrated care delivery program where you’ll enjoy clinical autonomy, comprehensive administrative support and work-life balance. Every member of our cross-specialty practice benefits from the opportunity to enhance their skills in an innovative, collegial environment where providing exceptional patient care and service is our foremost priority.
Celebrated for our dedication to our community, Kaiser Permanente Hayward Medical Center is ideal for physicians who want to play an active role in promoting health and wellness for people throughout our service area. For those who enjoy education, our Mentorship Program and Rotation Programs (Head & Neck Surgery and General Practice) offer the unique opportunity to help guide our new physicians—or those just entering a new specialty—through the beginning steps of their career. We actively encourage educational pursuits, and are proud of our faculty affiliations with Stanford, UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco. We also offer research opportunities in Oncology and HIV, the latter which is headed by Dr. Daniel Klein, one of the most celebrated HIV researchers in the nation and the recipient of the Morris F. Collen Research Award in 2004.
If you want to join a practice that offers countless personal and professional advantages, we invite you to become part of Kaiser Permanente Hayward. To find out more about practicing with TPMG, please watch this video.