A brand-new hospital with a long-standing mission
We may have just opened our doors in September of 2009, but Kaiser Permanente's Downey Medical Center is part of a long-standing tradition of serving members throughout Southeast Los Angeles County. Adjacent to Kaiser's Orchard and Garden Medical Offices, our 700,000 square foot, full-service medical center represents the newest thinking in hospital design. Here, leading-edge technology is combined with a warm touch, creating an atmosphere that promotes patient comfort, healing and wellness. In addition to our own patient community, our 352-bed, six-story facility is proud to provide specialty programs and tertiary services for other Kaiser Permanente medical centers in the area.
Connected to the Downey community
Kaiser Permanente's Downey Medical Center works hand-in-hand with our community to help its people live well, be well and thrive. We're proud to be part of Southeast Los Angeles County, and have built strong partnerships with local organizations to launch and maintain an array of health and wellness initiatives for our neighbors, family and friends. Through our partnership with Students Run L.A., a nonprofit group that trains students to run the L.A. Marathon, our physicians provide free physicals to low-income kids. Our physicians also volunteer their expertise at local schools, offering complimentary medical care to uninsured children. By hosting a Free Community Surgery Day, we're able to give patients with severely limited means access to much-needed surgical services. We also award service grants: in 2010 alone we gave supplemental funding to 37 local nonprofits, resulting in the infusion of more than $350,000 to our community. In addition to the above initiatives, we donate surplus equipment, sponsor educational programs, share medical expertise and participate in local health and wellness events.
Downey, California - "Where America began its journey to the stars"
Located approximately 12 miles south of Los Angeles and five miles outside of Orange County, Downey is proud to be the birthplace of the Apollo Space Program. Here, some of our country's most visionary minds made it possible for humankind to walk on the moon. But that's not our only claim to fame. In addition to offering enviable weather and an unmatched family lifestyle, we were rated in the top 25% of "100 Best Cities to do Business in California" by California Business Magazine. We're great for science, for living and for business. In short, we have the best of everything, including a location central to all of Southeast Los Angeles's greatest attractions.
When you live and work in the Downey area, you'll be able to enjoy:
- A short, 10-mile drive to the scenic Pacific coastline
- A location central to several major freeways and countless regional attractions
- Exceptional business resources and a plethora of cultural and recreational amenities
- An amazing climate that encourages year-round adventuring in the outdoors
- Nearly 100 acres devoted to 11 beautiful parks
- Fishing lakes at Wilderness Park and fitness courses at Furman and Apollo parks
- The 18-hole Rio Hondo Golf Course and the Los Amigos Golf Course
- Prime residential living in both Los Angeles and Orange Counties
- Live performances and more at the Cerritos Center for Performing Arts, Los Angeles Music Center, the Greek Theater, Verizon Amphitheater and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Professional sporting events at Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Dodger Stadium and the Staples Center
- Recreation and relaxation at the Bellflower Golf and Tennis Center, Lakewood Country Club, Los Amigos Country Club and the Rio Hondo Country Club
- An array of shopping venues plus excellent eateries, restaurants and cafes
- All the world-famous cultural and entertainment attractions available in neighboring communities
- Wonderful neighborhoods in nearby communities such as Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach
With our central location, quality residential neighborhoods, enviable climate and rich selection of cultural, entertainment and recreational amenities, Downey offers an amazing quality of life for people of all backgrounds and interests.